Welcome to our ONLINE RUNNER JOURNEY through the streets of Melbourne using Google Slides.
OUR Online Runner Tour is an alternative to our RUNNER SCHOOL EXCURSION in the Melbourne CBD.
These online materials are copyright to Melbourne Walks and require written permission prior to use.
INQUIRIES: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0408 894 724
COSTS: Available on request from email@example.com or 0408 894 724
LEARNING OUTCOMES FROM OUR Online Runner Tour:
- This tour can be used by teachers as a stand-alone resource. Alternatively, a Melbourne Walks guide can also provide an online session (up to 25 students per session) via Google Slides or Zoom to follow Charlie Feehan’s route as he races from Richmond to the Orient Hotel in Bourke Street.
- The Online tour provides images and locations of Melbourne places on the Runner race route, their connection to the novel and how they explain the context of the 1920s era. Students can take turns reading extracts from the novel related to these places. Each student can adopt a provided identity relating to the novel and the 1920s era during the class. Students can follow specific locations on the route via google maps. Students can follow up to pursue particular identities, characters and places.
- Readings from Robert Newton’s novel are connected to these online Melbourne places.
- Students can participate by each student adopting or researching an identity from the book and Squizzy Taylor era of the 1920s.
- Speaker notes assist teachers to pursue content further with the students.
- Students can explore the actual geographic locations on the route via our Online Runner Google Map.
Runner by Robert Newton
Penguin Teachers Notes on Runner